VITA Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file tax returns from other years?


What should I bring to get my taxes done?

You need to bring:

Photo identification for yourself, and for your spouse and/or children if filing together

Social security card or ITIN for yourself and each family member on your taxes

W-2 forms for each of your jobs

1099 or 1098 forms, if you have them for other income

Child care provider information

A voided check for your direct deposit

Last year’s tax return, if you have it

Other relevant information about your income and expenses

Do I need an appointment?

An appointment helps you get your taxes done without the wait!  Make your appointment today (link to

Do I qualify for free tax help?

If your income is below $54,000, we can help file your taxes for free!

However, there are some kinds of taxes we can’t do. If you have business taxes, rental income, or sold property or stocks, we can’t do your taxes. If you have flood damages from 2016, we can’t do your taxes, but we may be able to offer you a scholarship to pay for the filing fees. Email us at for more information on scholarships.

What if I want to do my own taxes?

If you made less than $64,000, you can use to file your taxes online for free. We can also help you do this at our VITA tax sites, or you can call 1-855-698-9435 for assistance over the phone.

What if I don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN) or card?

You need a valid Social Security Card or ITIN to file your taxes. However,

If you have a Social Security Number (SSN) but lost your card, visit the Social Security Website (link to on how to get a new card.

If you aren’t eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN), you should apply for an ITIN.  Email for assistance.

Who will help me with my taxes?

VITA Volunteers are trained in tax law and income tax preparation, and each one is certified by the IRS! Many of our volunteers are professional accountants, tax preparers, and financial advisors. We are here to help, and we make sure you get all the refunds and credits you qualify for.

Is it really free?

Yes, it really is free!

What if I had flood losses in 2016?

Unfortunately, we can’t prepare taxes with flood damage or losses.

When will I get my refund?

If you choose direct deposit to receive your refund, you will probably see it in your bank account in about 2 weeks. However, mailed checks take more time to show up. If you received the Earned Income Tax Credit for 2016, you will also see a slight delay in your refund – until February 15, 2017.

What if I owe money?

Payment to the IRS is due by April 18, 2017 to avoid paying extra fees. Even if you can’t pay it in full, you should still file your taxes before that date to avoid a late filing fee.